Health Conditions Warranting Treatment
Cannabis, when ingested safely, is a useful medicine for a wide range of conditions including, but not limited to: cancer • anorexia • AIDS • glaucoma • chronic pain • arthritis • insomnia • migraines • anxiety • depression • headache • nausea • epilepsy • asthma • premenstrual tension • withdrawal from other drugs and many other conditions
Cannabis will have variable effects when used by different people and under different circumstances. You must discuss indications and side effects with your doctor.
Prudent Cannabis Use
Like any medicine, cannabis can be misused. Excessive or inappropriate use can contribute to problems including sleepiness, overeating, and time management issues. Due to the political climate surrounding cannabis use research, clinical studies have produced widely conflicting conclusions about the true benefits and potential side effects of cannabis use. Always listen to the advice of your doctor and use good judgment when using medical cannabis. These guidelines help identify ways of using medical cannabis in a positive way.
- Adults should use cannabis as part of a healthy, balanced, and responsible lifestyle.
- The decision to use cannabis should be made freely, and not as a result of social pressure.
- Cannabis users should be well informed about its effects on themselves and others. These effects include both legal and health risks and personal consequences.
- Never use cannabis as an excuse for antisocial or irresponsible behavior.
- Cannabis users should model and reward responsible use, particularly with new users.
- Develop sensible cannabis use limits for your self based on personal, health, situational, and cultural factors. It is important to be objective about your personal cannabis use and listen to the constructive advice of others.
- Avoid cannabis use that puts you or others at risk, such as when driving, at work, or in public places. Remember, personal use of cannabis is still illegal under federal law, and penalties are stiff.
- Use of cannabis by children is inappropriate and should be discouraged.
- Cannabis use should contribute to, rather than detract from, a patient's health, well-being, creativity, work, relationships, and social obligations.
The information above is reprinted from the Cannabis Action Network www.cannabisactionnetwork.org